[Olsr-dev] HNA wish lists

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Oct 12 14:42:29 CEST 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:34:50 ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> reading some emails on the olsrd-users gave me this idea.
>
> now we configure HNA globally, so each configured prefix is announced
> regardless of the state of the interfaces. Some special exception
> there are for the default route if the dyn-gateway plugin is involved
I think the current dyngw plugin can do at least parts of this job (not only
for the default route).

> what about configure an HNA prefix in the Interface section of the
> configuration file ? Of course I want to announce that prefix only if
> the destination is really reachable. If my ethernet interface is
> offline there is no reason to announce that HNA.
I don't think most HNAs will go out through an OLSR interface, so most likely
the interfaces corresponding to the HNA will have no interface section at the
moment.

> also we could also do not bind this to interface status, but just
> check if what we are announcing is reachable. Note that something very
> similar is done by BGP (a BGP router will not announce a network that
> is unreachable for himself).
The question is "what is reachable". Do we need to send a regular ping? Or
maybe access a webpage?

I am planning to allow configuration changes during runtime for the next OLSR
version (and working on the framework to allow this). This might allow to
set/remove HNAs just in the ifup/ifdown scripts.

Henning Rogge
--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE