[Olsr-dev] Txtinfo plugin position table

(spam-protected) (spam-protected)
Sun Nov 6 17:50:50 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:00:51AM +0100, Ferry Huberts wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 07:18 PM, (spam-protected) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to argue the case for adding an optional node lat/lon/elv
> > position table to the txtinfo plugin output. The short term benefit is
> > providing an easier way to map network topology. The long term benefit
> > is having OLSR better prepared to handle mobile phone based networks.
> >

> Hi!
>
> At the Dutch DoD we have been working on adding position information
> into our OLSR networks for a while now. We always envisioned a future in
> which (the core of) OLSRd has more knowledge of node positions so that
> it can calculate the link metrics a little better. We are not there yet
> however.
>
> We currently have the PUD plugin (Position Update Distribution). It's
> available on the PUD branch in the OLSRd git repository.
>
> It implements position update distribution in an efficient manner, with
> dampening, uplinking, and some more features.
>
> Take a look if you're interested, and we would like to hear from you if
> you have feedback :-)

OK, thanks, I'll take a closer look at the PUD plugin code. One thing I
did not understand from the pud.odt plugin description document is the
overview part, which seems more concerned in the scenario where the OLSR
network is used to transfer GPS updates between networks, rather than
the simpler case of internal GPS update distribution.

At any case, the PUD plugin is a 'push' type mechanism, where updates
are constantly distributed whereas the suggested solution is a 'pull'
type mechanism, where updates are only maintained  but not distributed,
until a request for them is made.

I'll cleanup the implementation I have to hopefully include it in 0.6.3.

Sagie