[Olsr-dev] mac80211 / link-bandwith from userland forcostcalculation / plugin

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 13 17:11:35 CEST 2010

Am Montag 13 September 2010, 16:15:35 schrieb Bastian Bittorf:
> > don't forget that all WLAN packets have a prefix which is send with
>
> the so-called "preamble" (short/long).
> http://wireless.subsignal.org/index.php?title=WLAN-Optimierung
> ofcourse we have to safe airtime wherever possible.
>
> > a static datarate... but you are right, the amount of measuring
> > packets could depend on the speed of the link. The only problem
> > with this is that we could not use the OLSR TCs/Hellos anymore for
> > measuring the link quality, because they are broadcast packets.
> > That's why I would prefer combining the broadcast lossrate with
> > some unicast probing packets for detecting the link speed.
>
> make a suggestion wth some sample data.
>
> but seriously: why use TC/Hellos at all?
Because there are already there, we need them for the routing. So at the
moment you get multiple measurements of the link per second... for free.

> We already have the link-speed from layer 1/2,
> we just have to do something, that this data is
> up-to-date.
>
> And: the selected rate (from e.g. minstrel) already
> includes the probability/chance for goodput.
> (we dont have to measure this twice?)
The quality of the measurement of minstrel depends on the amount of unicast
traffic.

Henning Rogge

--
1) You can't win.