[Olsr-dev] mac80211 / link-bandwith from userland forcostcalculation / plugin

Bastian Bittorf (spam-protected)
Mon Sep 13 16:15:35 CEST 2010

> don't forget that all WLAN packets have a prefix which is send with

the so-called "preamble" (short/long).
http://wireless.subsignal.org/index.php?title=WLAN-Optimierung
ofcourse we have to safe airtime wherever possible.

> a static datarate... but you are right, the amount of measuring
> packets could depend on the speed of the link. The only problem
> with this is that we could not use the OLSR TCs/Hellos anymore for
> measuring the link quality, because they are broadcast packets.
> That's why I would prefer combining the broadcast lossrate with
> some unicast probing packets for detecting the link speed.

make a suggestion wth some sample data.

but seriously: why use TC/Hellos at all?
We already have the link-speed from layer 1/2,
we just have to do something, that this data is
up-to-date.

And: the selected rate (from e.g. minstrel) already
includes the probability/chance for goodput.
(we dont have to measure this twice?)

bye, Bastian