[Olsr-dev] Poor routing performance

Mitar (spam-protected)
Wed Nov 10 14:54:41 CET 2010

 Hi!

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Markus Kittenberger
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Yes it does so ,.. (definitely on bsd/mac and windows, and partly on linux)

You do retry on EINTR/EAGAIN?

We were getting "resource temporarily unavailable" with one iptables
daemon (captive portal) on this small boxes. And it solved all
problems we had. ;-)

> C: olsrd could try to (mis-)use its root priviledges to e.g. delete
> conflicting routes, (or just overwrite them)
> that unfortunately includes deleting routes it potentially did not create,
> which is nasty
> (and could easily lead to an endless deletion-"war" between olsrd an another
> routing daemon or script,..)

And very hard to leave routes as they were before you started olsrd.

This is much easier if you can get your own routing table(space). On
Linux you can.

Maybe at least on Linux we could have an addition to routing table
configuration (which is already there) that it completely clears that
table at the beginning and knows that only OLSR is managing that table
(so for any conflict just force the change). And clears it also at the
shutdown of OLSR.

> your "system" that has some new "feature" that now breaks things,..

I am not sure if it is a new "feature". Maybe it is just the
difference between FreeBSD and Mac OS X. By my experience Mac OS X has
only FreeBSD interface (POSIX) to its internals. Internally it works
quite differently. So sometimes this mapping is not 1:1. And taking
Mac OS X as FreeBSD has proven wrong in some other projects I am
connected with. (But it is getting better and better in a sense that
Mac OS X is getting closer and closer to UNIX.)

Mitar