[Olsr-dev] Hello

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 23 19:55:41 CET 2010

Am Dienstag 23 März 2010 19:37:00 schrieb Sean Swezey:
> I am joining the list as I am interested in making a GUI for OLSRd for the
> Freifunk group for GSoC. This is just a formal hello (I think my original
> email was forwarded to this list already). I am looking for some advice on
> how to get involved, and to get started, thanks!
Hello, welcome on board...

I think there are two possible ways to get towards a good GUI.

First would be a C++ programm based on QT, this way we can easily build the
stuff on Windows, Mac and Linux. The programm would connect to a plugin in the
OLSRd which allows it to read from the system and display it. Later this
programm could be improved by set some parameters of OLSRd through the plugin.

The other option (which I would prefer) is a plugin which creates a http based
GUI. We already have a compact HTTP-server implementation in the master branch
which does all the normal stuff like header parsing, HTTP-GET/POST decoding
and sending the results to the client. You can add callbacks for certain
'files' or 'directories' of the http-server where you generate the content.
A first step might be to do a reimplementation of the old (and partly buggy)
httpinfo plugin for the new http-server. Then enhance it with more or cleaner
information. Later versions of the plugin could allow the user to set some
parameters, but this would imply some security concept (the http-server
supports basic http-authentification).
If you want to use the second way we would backport the http-server of the
master branch into a plugin. This way you can do your work with the current
stable branch and we can easily use the plugin for the 0.7.0 release.

Henning Rogge