[Olsr-dev] ETX Calculation

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Thu Mar 18 21:31:19 CET 2010

how fast is your mobile node moving??
and what distance do the 2 nodes have (the one from which it should switch
to the other)

what is "bigger" the goal of your testing?

--

a simple approach to play around, without needing to start coding right at
the beginning

would be to use a small default lqmult on the mobile node (causing big ETX
costs on the mobile node edges)
e.g. 0.50 (or maybe even 0.25)

this would mean a perfect link (formerly 1.00 would have costs of 2.0)
and a medium link with formerly 2.00 an etx of 4.00

the result is that the 2 hop route will be considered better, much
earlier,.. (and as a positive side effect, your mobile node will be
selected not so often for transit routes going over it,..)

further find out, if your problems are really only becauese of the
mathematics of summing up etx-values without any further adaptions
or if its a problem of ETX "delay",..

so maybe, at the point where your mobile node already suffers too high
packetloss
it should simply stop moving, and wait e.g. for a minute, while recording
the ongoing changes of the lq values
(they will change as they are averaged)

if e.g. 15 seconds later lq reach a value that causes olsrd to switch to a
longer (but better) route (as u desire)
then the problem is not really the metric, but the used averaging function

higher hello intervals might improve things (as the averaging has less
effects,..)

but this usually you cant/want use dramatically higher hello intervals

it a next step it might be better to adapt the avaeraging and or the
metric, (in the code )
but imho its better to evaluate what the problem is,..

regards Markus

p.s. etx is quite a old/simpe metric, which will not provide perfect
routes for a single node, but does quite well for the whole network (at
least if all nodes use same configuration *G (e.g same bitrate))

--
lg Markus