[Olsr-dev] ETX Calculation

Vincent, Michael - 0665 - MITLL (spam-protected)
Thu Mar 18 20:54:11 CET 2010

We're using OLSR (0.5.6-r7) in a testbed where a vehicle moves away from a fixed point in a straight line.  As the signal weakens (LQ increases) we add a relay node directly between the fixed point and moving vehicle (on the straight line path).  The issue is that the ETX for the 2-hop path (via the relay) doesn't register better than the direct path until the packet loss on the direct path is way up.

I've read the Link Quality README (http://www.olsr.org/docs/README-Link-Quality.html) and it seems to indicate that the ETX for a multi-hop path is the sum of the individual paths (ETX1 + ETX2 ...).  Looking at the source code - this seems to be the case also.

We'd like to use the relay node quicker - that is, before the direct path suffers from horrible packet loss and the ETX for the multi-hop path takes over.  I think the summing of ETX without some 'scaling factor' is the issue.

I'm not a very skilled C programmer so my poking and tweaking the source code hasn't yielded much I the way of a solution.  Any recommendations on how to go about fixing this?

    Cheers.

--
Michael J. Vincent
MIT Lincoln Laboratory