[Olsr-dev] Building on Android

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 25 08:01:33 CEST 2010

Hi Mitar,

one more. The android settings applet and GUI ignores IBSS/Ad Hoc networks
(does not show detected IBSS ESSIDs nor let you join into IBSS). Just in case
you have not coped with this, here are some tips (rooted mobile is
precondition):

- the networking stack is controlled by wpa-supplicant which runs below the
GUI. That background daemon can handle IBSS if you instruct it to do so. E.g.
needs a special scanning mode to search & join an IBSS. If wpa_supplicant
joins an IBSS, the GUI shows this but does not interfere. So it's possible to
join an IBSS if you can convince wpa_supplicant to do that.

- There is a command line interface to interact with wpa_supplicant named
"wpa_cli". wpa_cli uses a named pipe to communicate. On my samsung galaxy, the
pipe is located somewhere under /data/misc/wifi which may be changed on your
mobile phone to other location.

[blabla. I stop here, because while googling I stumble across a page that
nicely summarizes this here: http://www.olsr.org/?q=olsr_on_android

// Sven-Ola