[Olsr-dev] Client Roaming Plugin

Raphael (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 21 00:16:57 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM, Markus Kittenberger
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hi
>
> some weeks ago we (henning & me) were chatting about similar stuff,..
>
> we had 2 approaches in mind afair
>
> one with a a lightweight client app (with no need to have root privileges)
> (the benefit of this would be to reuse olsrd linksensing, and imho easier
> switching to another "master")
>
> and the second approach was very similar to yours.
> we where also thinking to use hnas to announce the client
>
> but hans introduce problems on handovers,.. (as they need some time to
> time-out)
>
> i think this is what u want to achieve/cure with "new olsrd" messages?
Yes, exactly. Right now it takes about 10-20 seconds until the
connection continues.

> btw. does your plugin require a distinct interface or VAP or is your plugin
> capable of providing same functinoality on an alias ip of the adhoc
> interface (that olsrd is using aswell)?

In my tests I use ath0(master) and ath1(ad-hoc) on wifi0. And there
comes the next evil trick: Everything has the same MAC-adress on ath0.
If you used an alias, the mac would change from station to station so
we would wait until the arp-cache for this IP times out and the
connection continues. If we applied the same trick with using same
mac-adresses on an adhoc-network, bad things will happend, because in
this case, the same mac-adress would be present in the same network.

//Raphael