[Olsr-dev] "Secure" Mesh networks

Roar Bjørgum Rotvik (spam-protected)
Tue Feb 9 08:41:51 CET 2010

Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Tue February 9 2010 01:16:14 John Barrett wrote:
>> OK -- just looked over that code -- and its getting close :)
>>
>> I think I have everything in place to flash a couple of routers -- I'll
>> make sure I get the secure module in the build and see if it still works
>> as is, then probably base my work off that code :)
> Just a warning about the "secure" plugin. The only thing it does it to use a
> shared secret to calculate a hash value and put it into each packet (plus a
> timestamp against replay attacks). You can get more security by just
> encrypting your Layer 2 with a symmetric key (not WEP because it's broken).

Hi all,

As one of the persons that designed the "secure" plugin, I must point out that the purpose
of the "secure" plugin is not to encrypt data traffic or routing traffic.

It's only purpose is to be a simple addon to olsrd that may protect the routing traffic
from "unwanted" nodes, i.e. only nodes with the correct group key is allowed to
participate in the mesh network. Simple, lightweight (I admit we did not test this on
embedded devices), works with olsrd without changing message format or internal code in olsrd.

Regarding the distribution of the shared key; We also designed a system for establishing
trust and sharing the shared key to new nodes as long as they are trusted by one of the
nodes already part of the "secure" network. This solution was meant to establish a shared
key before starting up olsrd with the secure plugin using this shared key.
I did not work on this part and does not remember all the details from my head, sorry.

--
Roar Bjørgum Rotvik