[Olsr-dev] Planned efforts on plugins

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 5 15:09:51 CET 2010

On Fri February 5 2010 11:08:10 Teco Boot wrote:
> 3: bmf
> ======
> 1.6.2 solved my problem.
> Removing the thread is very low on my priority list, or
> harmful (I have to verify). Same for the 1.5.3 problem.
I think it should be easy to port 1.6 to olsrd without the mutex.

> The problem with 1.6 is the mutex.
Yes.

> Maybe supply the mutex code on the main olsrd src as patch, and use the
> mutex conditionally?
This would mean you cannot use the plugin without changing the OLSR core (and
recompile it).

> Is it really a bad idea to apply the mutex path?
Yes, I think so. Last time I looked at the mutex patch it just stopped the
whole OLSRd core code until it was ready with its own reading of OLSR data
structures. Thats no real advantage in my opinion.

The problem is that the 0.5.6 scheduler does have a "polling" mechanism. If no
messages arrives, it waits for some time with nanosleep. The scheduler in the
development branch does not have this problem, it can distinguish between
"slow" and "fast" sockets (slow sockets allow to concentrate the cpu time of
multiple events).
An alternative to a scheduler backport would be that the BMF copies the
necessary "nexthop" table for each target, so the BMF-thread does not need to
look up in the central OLSR core structures. This way the waiting time for
both threads could be minimized (just use an atomic switch between two lists
of "next hop for originator" databases in the BMF).

Henning Rogge

--
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE