[Olsr-dev] LinkQualityMult problems in 0.5.6-r5

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sat Sep 5 14:57:50 CEST 2009

Am Samstag 05 September 2009 14:44:30 schrieb Mitar:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Henning Rogge<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> > a premultiplied value should be in there to make sure that everyone is
> > using the same "cost" for a link. If you don't guarantee this on the
> > network you get stable routing loops... lot's of them.
>
> I understand. In fact it is the same thing: use premultiplied value or
> not if you send multiplicand together it is possible to get one or
> other value from it.
And it makes parsing OLSR messages easier because you can just ignore the
additional information for routing.

> > My idea was NOT to fight this with tech, just give the people the tools
> > to detect what's happening in the network and let layer-8 (the people !)
> > deal with it off the net.
>
> Yes, it is necessary to see what is realy link quality and what is
> link quality people would like to be used for routing. But you can
> still just change source code of your OLSR and hide it there.
Yes, that's always possible. But that's beyond the "misconfigured" node into
the area of "nodes attacking the network policy/structure".

I hope we don't have to deal with this in the next years.