[Olsr-dev] Some words on GIT

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Nov 22 17:39:39 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

as I promised I have written some line about GIT. I assume that most of you
know how source code management software can be used, if not you will find a
lot of stuff about it at http://git-scm.com/ .

Especially the following links might be interesting or useful for getting some
basic information about git:
http://hoth.entp.com/output/git_for_designers.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

If you want to work with the OLSRd on windows, you might want to look at this

On all operation systems (supporting QT, so there is a windows version too), I
suppose you test the GIT repository viewer QGIT:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qgit/

---------------

The main difference between our new GIT repository and the old mercurial one
is, that both stable and development code are within the SAME repository. This
means that it is easy to transfer changes from one branch to another one.

The development is done in the "master" branch, the most current stable code
is in the "stable" branch. There might be other branches in the repository
which contain code still in development before it get's merged back into
stable or master

To get a copy of the olsr.org GIT repository use
> git clone git://olsr.org/olsrd.git -b <branchname>
or
> git clone http://olsr.org/olsrd.git -b <branchname>
The git:// variant does not work through some firewalls, but it much faster
normally.

The "-b <branchname>" option automatically creates a local branchs that
"tracks" the foreign branch at olsr.org

You can see a list of your local branches with "git branch", to see the
foreign ones use "git branch -r".

To see a list of tags (named commits) use "git tag".

To see the history of commits, use "git log".

If you want to get another foreign branch as a local branch use
> git checkout --track -b <localbranch> <foreignbranch>

For example to get a 'stable' branch after you cloned your repository with the
master branch, use
> git checkout --track -b stable origin/stable

To change your current repository to a certain commit use
> git checkout <commit>
<commit> can be a hexadecimal GIT id, a branch name or a tag.

Henning Rogge