[Olsr-dev] [OLSR-dev] OLSR for Windows Mobile platforms by Moviquity

Victor Gras Valenti (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 14 09:25:39 CEST 2009

Dear,

I write to you on behalf of APIF Moviquity S.A., a Spanish SME with
headquarters in Madrid, whose activity is focused on the development of
applications for mobile devices, as well as research and development.

Within the framework of the WORKPAD project, an European R&D project dealing
with communications in emergencies, we have developed a version of OLSR in
C#, to be used in mobile applications using Windows Mobile. The source code
has been published in SourceForge.net.

Recently, after testing with 9 PDAs in a mobility scenario, we found that
there is a problem of stability of the routes when the devices are on the
edge of mutual coverage range, due to random packet loss, that leads to a
too frequent routes shift that seriously affects the performance of the
whole network, due to constant topology changes. Trying to overcome that, we
developed an extension to the standard OLSR’s RFC features, that does not
prioritize a direct neighbour over a a 2-hop neighbour, unless a minimum of
stability is assured for the direct communication with such direct
neighbour. In this case, the routes are not always optimal, but on the other
hand, the topology becomes more stable.

I would like to know whether you found some similar problem and you know
some pre-existing solution to this, in order to evaluate it and compare it
with ours. Our intention is to keep testing the validity of our solution,
and document it in order to disseminate it to the public.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Víctor Gras Valentí
Development Department
www.moviquity.com

C/ Isabel de Colbrand 10, pl.5ª, oficina 150
Polígono Ind. de Fuencarral
28050 MADRID
2 Tlf. :+34 91 431 98 59
  Fax :+34 91 431 22 06