[Olsr-dev] integrate with new physical layer

Kelvin Chan (spam-protected)
Mon Jan 5 06:26:15 CET 2009

> Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:39:26 -0600
> From: "Mark K." <(spam-protected)>
> Subject: [Olsr-dev] integrate with new physical layer
> To: olsr-dev <(spam-protected)>
>
> I'm trying to integrate OLSR with some radios and I'm having a hard
> time with the way it uses sockets.  The radios connect via USB but I
> can't seem to poll that interface.  Is it feasible to redirect packets
> to an external queue or even a file that I could poll from another
> app?  Any advice on this idea would be great.
>
> Looking at the source, I think I need to modify the net_output
> function to change the output away from a traditional socket and
> perhaps olsr_poll_sockets to inject packets back into OLSR after the
> radio receives it.
>
> Thanks.

Perhaps the simplest way without having to modify the OLSRd code is to
create a network device (netdev) on top the USB interface.

Have a look at the "usbnet" driver,  http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

In the past, I had ran OLSR on PPP-over-RS232 by creating a PPP network
interface over the RS-232 serial device. (don't expect the speed to be
great).