[Olsr-dev] Status update [was Re: Good ideas about interface IPs in OLSR]

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Thu Feb 5 18:43:08 CET 2009

On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009 17:38:48 you wrote:
> Another part of the puzzle is the idea to set the source address of all
> routes to the main IP. This way any package created on the router will have
> the main- IP of the router as the source field. It needs some additional
> work, but Markus Kittenberg is already working on it.
Markus has finished a first patch for the problem, it just need a little bit
cleanup and window dressing... (oh my god, we just talked about it a day or
two ago ;) )

our plan at the moment is to enhance the new "RouterId" config parameter.

1. option:   "RouterId   <Main-IP>"

this option will set a fixed router id AND will set the source of each
interface to the main-ip. To prevent an error (which can happen if no
interface have the src-ip as it's real IP) we plan to create a "pseudo
interface" lo:1 which will have this IP as long as OLSR is running.

2. option:   "RouterId   <Main-IP> internal-only"

this option will set a fixed router id, but will not change the source IP of
the routing tables. Maybe good for experimentation. We hope you know what you
are doing. ;)

I think the patch for this will enter the development tree soon, maybe even
this weekend !