[Olsr-dev] IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

John Hay (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 28 07:50:27 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:30:56AM +0100, Henning Rogge wrote:
> Am Thursday 27 November 2008 22:46:45 schrieb Alina Friedrichsen:
> > Hi Henning!
> >
> > > I think the problem is that nobody in the OLSR.org team has lot's of
> > > experience with IPv6... but it sounds like an important step for
> > > autoconfiguration.
> >
> > In IPv6 you don't need a complex algorithm for address autoconfiguration,
> > you can simply take your MAC address or a 64 bit random number. The
> > probability for an address conflict is much less then a human error in
> > manuall configuration.
> In OLSRv1 (that is what we are using today) this would work, but ipv6 itself
> is a problem with OLSRv1 because the address fields are getting HUGE.
>
> In OLSRv2 (which can use address compression for address blocks) even with
> "autoconfig" it would be better to use a real subnet so that you compress the
> blocks (common header/suffix-compression).
>
> But the IPv6 autoconfig might be a good step to get a "permanent" adderss in
> an OLSRv2 IPv6 network. :)

Something that should be considered is to use link-local addresses for
the olsr packets. The ipv6 addresses that are exchanged should still
be global or the unique local rfc4193 style. What I'm talking about is
the address of the packet itself. There are two advantages that I can
see.
1 - It is closer to how other routing daemons work.
2 - You automatically have the interface info because it is part of the
link-local address.

John
--
John Hay -- (spam-protected) / (spam-protected)