[Olsr-dev] IPv6 Unique Local Addresses

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 28 07:30:56 CET 2008

Am Thursday 27 November 2008 22:46:45 schrieb Alina Friedrichsen:
> Hi Henning!
>
> > I think the problem is that nobody in the OLSR.org team has lot's of
> > experience with IPv6... but it sounds like an important step for
> > autoconfiguration.
>
> In IPv6 you don't need a complex algorithm for address autoconfiguration,
> you can simply take your MAC address or a 64 bit random number. The
> probability for an address conflict is much less then a human error in
> manuall configuration.
In OLSRv1 (that is what we are using today) this would work, but ipv6 itself
is a problem with OLSRv1 because the address fields are getting HUGE.

In OLSRv2 (which can use address compression for address blocks) even with
"autoconfig" it would be better to use a real subnet so that you compress the
blocks (common header/suffix-compression).

But the IPv6 autoconfig might be a good step to get a "permanent" adderss in
an OLSRv2 IPv6 network. :)

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)