[Olsr-dev] OLSRd 0.5.4 and 0.5.5 with ETT available

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Nov 14 14:50:19 CET 2008

Am Friday 14 November 2008 13:15:13 schrieb Erik Tromp:
> The problem with the reported rate is that in reality the throughput is
> usually a lot lower.
It's ALWAYS lower, thats because of training sequence/praeamble, encoding,
wlan header... and of course the random delays between package transmission.
It's all described in the WLAN standard.

> As an example: my WLAN connection currently reports a rate of 130 Mbit/sec
> . However, the highest transfer rate I have seen is approx. 6 MByte/sec (48
> Mbit/sec). Somehow there is some overhead. Is that a fixed factor (130/48 =
> 2,7 ?) Or is that factor dependent on other things?
130 MBit/s is the translated symbol rate... 48 MBit/s real data traffic sounds
not bad (~60-70 MBit might be the theoretical maximum).

> This is what I meant by "it is difficult to determine the "quality" based
> on only these [L1/L2]metrics."
You cannot predict the "real throughput" on a shared access medium, because it
depends on random waiting times and the behaviour of all communication
stations in jamming range (which is higher than communication range).

> But, even if the reported rate is not the actual rate, at least it is
> better than nothing. That is, provided the WLAN interface has the ability
> to choose for itself its bit rate. If a node owner chooses to fix the rate
> to say 54Mbit/s, then the OLSR network will think there is a very good
> quality link there, while in fact there may be not.
Thats why ETT includes ETX... ETT measures airtime, not bandwith. If you set a
"too high" fixed bandwith you will have packet loss, which will reduce the ETX
part of the ETT metric.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)