[Olsr-dev] broadcast packet filtering

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Tue May 6 07:58:36 CEST 2008

hi joe,

IMO the basic idea of the bmf plugin (piggyback dataplane traffic on top
of control-plane traffic) is way broken, and for the reasons you have
been giving (as per your example below), it may even become destabilizing.

i have been mulling with henning over the ideas to program real
multicast forwarding state (/64 (S,G) for IPv4 and /256 (S, G) for
IPv6 into the kernel FIB. Every node shall publish the multicast
groups it wants to receive via protocol extensions. During the SPF
run we could compute the distribution tree and program the kernel FIB,
such that data-plane and control-plane stays seperate.

the idea is nothing new, much stuff will be derived from MOSPF

http://www.javvin.com/protocolMOSPF.html

/hannes