[Olsr-dev] olsrd without link sensing

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jun 24 08:56:48 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 24 Juni 2008 00:14:30 schrieb Giovanni Di Stasi:
> > Giovanni, you know that the current olsr.org version uses ETX and not
> > hopcount anymore, right?
>
> And what happens if I set LinkQualityLevel to 0? Olsrd should calculate
> routes that minimize the hop count metric, right?
Yes.

Take an advice, forget about using hopcount metric.

Hopcount metric force the routing algorithm to use the longest links towards
the target... for WLAN this means you are using the weakest and most fragile
links, most times your packages will not arrive.

> > Next targets are ETT and MIC.
>
> Our routing strategy is based on a multi-path strategy (in the sense that
> packets that belong to the same connection can go different ways).
OLSR doesn't care for connections... so olsrd use the same "strategy".

> So we
> don't plan to utilize the metrics you mention (that take into account the
> entire path); our routing strategy decide the next hop on a per-packet
> basis (so just the qualities of links to neighbors are considered).
OLSR decides it's routing strategy on each hop too (the whole dijkstra
algorithm is only used to calculate a good NEXT step).

But without a good routing metric it will not work well.

Diplom Informatiker Henning Rogge
Forschungsgesellschaft für
Angewandte Naturwissenschaften e. V. (FGAN)
Neuenahrer Str. 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Tel.: 0049 (0)228 9435-961
Fax: 0049 (0)228 9435-685
E-Mail: (spam-protected)
Web: www.fgan.de
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bonn
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Bonn VR 2530
Vorstand: Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Dornhaus (Vors.), Prof. Dr. Joachim Ender
(Stellv.)