[Olsr-dev] Freifunk Testing

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Mon Jun 16 14:45:08 CEST 2008

elektra wrote:
> Henning Rogge wrote:
>> Fish-Eye algorithms are used to keep the traffic low, but they
>> introduce ADDITIONAL possibilities for routing loops (at the edge of
>> the fish-eye domains). So it's a tradeof between traffic problems and
>> routing update problems.
>>
> Highly unlikely, because fish-eye domains overlap. Loops occur amongst
> adjacent nodes, usually involving two or three nodes. Go ahead and
> experiment - disable Fisheye and reduce MPRs redundancy  to a value
> where it is actually doing something - in a large scale deployment such
> as Vienna, and observe the results.

i strongly disagree:

fisheye may work on a WLAN only meshes, however in mixed deployments
(read: 5Ghz longshots bypassing 3-5 hops, or wired segments) it becomes
actually a main contributor of routing-loops.

we have long-term plans to disable fisheye support per default and rather
spend the bandwidth, for reliably resyncing the 1-hop neighborhood.

> Our recent tests have been performed on 800 MHz x86 CPUs in a 49 node
> grid, at 1-3 % CPU load.

olsrd load running on a 250 node 1300 MHz x86 CPU is not measurable (0.0%).
   throttling down the CPU by a factor of 8, you see rare peaks of 2-3% CPU
   load. ask sven-ola about his hysterical underpowered webcam :-P

/hannes