[Olsr-dev] Freifunk Testing

elektra (spam-protected)
Mon Jun 16 14:25:28 CEST 2008

Henning Rogge wrote:
> There are two main problems with the OlsrV1 RFC and one main problem
> with the old olsrd (pre version 0.5) routing agent.
>
> The first problem of OLSR (as presented in the RFC) is the routing
> metric. A hopcount metric is a great idea in "nearly no loss"
> networks, and it works very well in simulated wireless networks as
> long as you use a "Two-Ray ground" model for layer 1 (standard model
> in the NS-2 simulator). In reality hopcount metrics try to use the
> longest (and worst quality !) links and break down within moments. I
> discovered it myself when I did some simple simulations with a more
> realistic layer-1 model.

True. Hence the modified ETX algorithm was introduced with 0.4.8. at the
end of  2004.
> The second problem is that the MPR algorithm has no redundancy. You
> hope that one node will receive your and all two-hop neighbor nodes
> will receive the retransmission. So you should integrate a little bit
> more intelligence in choosing your "relays". New routing metrics try
> to integrate the size of the "collision domain" into their alogrithm
> because of similar reasons. Sending it through all neighbors will be a
> desaster in dense networks.

MPRs are all about reducing TC redundancy. Locally and network wide. It
is miserable in reducing protocol overhead. Stability-wise it is even worse.

> The problem with the old olsrd implementation was that it performed
> (in terms of CPU usage) horrible. This results in packet drop in
> larger networks.

Sure, sure. But at 30% CPU load the reason for loops was somewhere else...

> We have adressed most of the problems in the olsrd implementation and
> did a lot of preparations for the next step (clean up data structures,
> use efficient algorithms, get rid of the ETX/hopcount split in the
> codebase, extract the metric logic into a plugin system).
I have no complaints about your (aiming at the Olsr-NG project) efforts
to optimize the code and optimizing shortest path (or best effort)
computing.

> I have read the BATMAN Draft you send to the IETF (not the IEEE ;) )
> and I have to say BATMAN has one mayor problem too. BATMAN has no
> "tuning parameters", you have one timer value and I don't see many
> possibilities to integrate a good routing metric. You just hope that
> the "flood the hellos and backtrack them" will produce a good routing
> strategy. You cannot even use the bandwith of a link for routing
> decissions, because the bandwith cannot be propagated. So my question
> is where does the BATMAN plan to go from the current state ?

You are right. The draft is about Batman Mark III, while we are using
Mark IV now, which does carry a metric.

> Fish-Eye algorithms are used to keep the traffic low, but they
> introduce ADDITIONAL possibilities for routing loops (at the edge of
> the fish-eye domains). So it's a tradeof between traffic problems and
> routing update problems.

Highly unlikely, because fish-eye domains overlap. Loops occur amongst
adjacent nodes, usually involving two or three nodes. Go ahead and
experiment - disable Fisheye and reduce MPRs redundancy  to a value
where it is actually doing something - in a large scale deployment such
as Vienna, and observe the results.

> If you have problems with payload suppressing routing packets you have
> to use traffic shaping or priorization, Just creating more routing
> packets might make the situation even worse.

The problem is radio interference, rather than protocol traffic
prioritization.
> And finally, judging the performance of an algorithm running with not
> enough CPU power (because of inefficient code) is at least a little
> bit suspect...
Our recent tests have been performed on 800 MHz x86 CPUs in a 49 node
grid, at 1-3 % CPU load.

cu elektra