[Olsr-dev] 0.5.6-rc7 is out

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Sun Jul 13 08:54:11 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 08:39, John Hay <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> I have tried it plus Henning's fix for etx_ff, with and without the line
> LinkQualityAlgorithm "etx_ff" on a few boxes in our network. FreeBSD+ipv6.
> What I see is that in both cases (with and without etx_ff set) dot_draw
> reports bigger values for the links than the previous olsr that ran on
> them.
The old ETX algorithm (0.5.5) had some bugs that make it's values inconsistent.

"etx_fpm" was changed from rounding down to rounding up in it's fix
point math to allow it to grow to LQ 1.0.
"etx_ff" should be a more stable version of the old 0.5.5 algorithm
without it's bugs.

> It was mostly 0.5.5 or 0.5.4 with the ipv6 patch that went into
> 0.5.5. I do think that either the calculation is not correct or there
> might be some other problem. Maybe it does not like our config. I'll
> add it to the end. At the moment the links are pretty idle and I would
> expect to see values of 1.00 or maybe a little bigger. Two of the boxes
> are connected via 100M ethernet and previously that link would go up
> and down in the 1.x range, now it stays above 2.5. There is no packet
> loss on it and pretty idle, so I think it should be 1.00?
Hmm... you have a "zero packet loss" link between two etx_ff boxes and
it's still not at 1.0 ?
That's strange...

Can you verify the values with the txtinfo plugin please ?

> You can see a pic (updated every 20-30 seconds) at:
>
> http://stats.meraka.csir.co.za/mesh/pta-mesh.html
>
> The boxes that I have updated are: tower1, koppie1, mesh-190b, mesh-190d
> and mesh-21cb. The link between tower1 and koppie1 are the ethernet link.
> (The link colours are green for a link value between 1 and 2, yellow
> from 2 to 5 and red above 5.)
>
> So can it be our config? The idea behind our config was that most of
> the links in the "centre" of our network was pretty good and stable, so
> olsr should not remove routes too easily.

> #############################
> LinkQualityAlgorithm "etx_ff"
> DebugLevel      0
> IpVersion       6
> ClearScreen     yes
> Hna4
> {
> }
> Hna6
> {
> }
> AllowNoInt      yes
> Willingness     7
> IpcConnect
> {
>     MaxConnections  0
>     Host            127.0.0.1
> }

> UseHysteresis   no
> HystScaling     0.50
> HystThrHigh     0.80
> HystThrLow      0.30
You can delete this block

> LinkQualityLevel        2
> LinkQualityWinSize      100
you can delete this one too (not doing anything in the latest olsrd)

> Pollrate        0.05

> TcRedundancy    2
> MprCoverage     7

> LoadPlugin "olsrd_dot_draw.so.0.3"
> {
> }
> Interface "ath0" "ath1" "ath2" "ath3" "npe0"
> {
>    HelloInterval    2.0
>    HelloValidityTime   200.0
>    TcInterval        1.0
>    TcValidityTime      100.0
>    MidInterval 5.0
>    MidValidityTime     15.0
>    HnaInterval 5.0
>    HnaValidityTime     15.0
> }

Hmm... the rest seems to be okay. Please verify the values with the
txtinfo plugin, we had a bug report about the dotdraw plugin.

"Wo kämen wir hin, wenn alle sagten, wo kämem wir hin, und niemand
ginge, um einmal zu schauen, wohin man käme, wenn man ginge." (Kurt
Marti)