[Olsr-dev] olsrd web of trust plug-in

(spam-protected) (spam-protected)
Mon Dec 22 13:21:31 CET 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> On Montag 22 Dezember 2008 12:16:03 (spam-protected) wrote:
>> Hi to everybody.
>> I just wanted to tell you that I have developed an olsrd plug-in,
>> based on the secure plug-in, that uses PGP (GnuPG) to sign OLSR
>> packets, and adds routing table entries to different routing tables on
>> a trust basis.
>>
>> The documentation (i.e. my thesis) and the source code can be found here:
>> http://hg.ninux.org/olsrd-ninux-messy/
>> http://hg.ninux.org/olsrd-ninux-messy/browser/lib/wot
> I will look at it, we have played with this idea at work too...
>
>> It is still in an experimental stage, but I (or somebody here at my
>> university and/or in ninux.org) will be working on it on the following
>> months.
> I hope you know that doing a single 1024 Bit RSA encryption operation will
> take many milliseconds on embedded hardware. According to my measurements you
> can do ~70 encryptions per second on a Nokia N810 (which has a 400 Mhz CPU)
> and ~200 decryptions.
>
> Unless you plan to use desktop CPUs you will be limited to very small
> networks...

Yes, I am aware of this. As with this approach signature messages only
travel one hop, to solve the problem we are planning to use session
keys and multiple symmetric signature messages based on that session
keys.

Another big issue is the fact that as each node has a subjective view
of the network, in terms of trust metric, routing loops may occur.

Bye,
Clauz