[Olsr-dev] [Olsr-users] Insert routes into multiple tables

Juliusz Chroboczek (spam-protected)
Thu Dec 4 20:58:35 CET 2008

Hi Aaron,

>> Why are you using shorewall to maintain routing tables?

> Which reminds me - Juliusz, don't you have nice code in babel which  says
> where (which routing daemon) the route came from?

Yep.  In Babel[1], you can filter routes depending on where they came from:

    $ ip -6 route show default
    default via ... dev ... proto zebra ...
    $ grep zebra /etc/iproute2/rt_protos
    11      zebra
    $ grep proto /etc/babel.conf
    redistribute ip ::/0 eq 0 proto 11 metric 128

(That's on one of my IPv6 gateways, which uses Zebra to speak RIPng with my
upstream.)

But I don't think it would solve the OPs issue.  The OP had the problem
that shorewall was abusively installing blackhole routes into his routing
tables, and while it might be possible to work around that using route
filtering, it would involve some rather nasty hacks.

His fundamental mistake (or rather the fundamental mistake of the shorewall
developers) was to make shorewall play the role of a routing daemon, which
it is not.  When you're developing a hammer, even routes look like nails.

Shorewall is not the only piece of software that has this kind of issue.
OpenVPN and aiccu also think that they can do the job of a routing daemon.

(Btw, feel free too grab anything you wish from Babel into OLSR as long as
you give proper credit.)

                                        Juliusz

[1] http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/babel/