[Olsr-dev] OLSR IPs for node with multiple interfaces

Markus Kittenberger (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 30 14:45:34 CEST 2008

just assume 10.0.0.3 is another router with olsrd on it,..

then there won`t be a problem, cause of hostroutes is pointing to it,..

in fact in vienna the routing only works cause of hostroutes, ...

routing based on subnetmasks won`t work in most cases,
thats why some of us use 255.255.255.255 as subnetmask, which is even more
ugly/bad, but wont`t generate useless/problematic kernel (subnet-) routes,
and reduces at least useless arp lookups,..

i still can`t imagine a mesh net with working subnetroutes, (-;
i just realizy that olsrd is used with much more different network
configurations as i could imagine,.. (-;

On 4/30/08, Henning Rogge <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 30 April 2008 13:36:45 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi,
>
> > > Linux (and most likely windows) wont like this.
> >

> > linux likes setsockopt(.., SO_BINDTODEVICE) which should do this.
> yes, but the routing would still not work.
>
> Imagine you have one interface with the netmask 10.0.0.1/16 and one with
> the
> netmask 10.0.0.2/16.
>
> The kernel has a packet which has to be transfered to a node called
> 10.0.0.3.
> How should the kernel determine what interface is to use ?
>
> > Hmm, but I want to operate two radio interfaces in the same channel! How
> > can I do this, hich IPs and netmasks can I give them ?
> Just don't do this... you will get lot's of trouble. 2 different
> directional
> antennas MIGHT work, but there is still the possibility that one sending
> antenna will jam receiving on the other one.

will one olsrd really interpretate packets he sent himself???

i never seen a link between 2 interfaces, but in fact i never tried, usually
we have one lan interface and one wifi,..

but i will try, cause i`m working on simulated multiple wifi devices
(borrowed from another router, on a multi-router node,..)