[Olsr-dev] Is there any documents illustrating olsrd's design and coding?

Bernd Petrovitsch (spam-protected)
Wed Apr 23 10:48:07 CEST 2008

On Mit, 2008-04-23 at 07:23 +0200, Henning Rogge wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 23 April 2008 05:04:13 schrieb 程舟:
> >  Hi, dear olsr fellows,
> >
> > I recently began on olsrd. I downloaded the code and start reading it.
> > However, I did not find some illustrating documents on the
> > design/implementation of this set of code, which would be very helpful to
> > newbies like me.

What problem do you want to solve?
Either (e.g. in my case years ago) I wanted to fix some minor bugs in
plugins so just get your feet wet and ask more detailed or you want to
hack protocol stuff (like IMHO most others) than you probably need an
idea of OLSR as such and start from there.

> > Does anyone have or write such kind of document?
>
> Sorry, I don't think there is any "documentation" beside the code. We have

AFAIK there never really was that much except Andreas Tonnesens thesis
and on the old website.
It's as with most open source software stuff: Those, who can write it,
don't need it written and thus don't do it (because they use the time
for the source as such - which is far more interesting BTW;-). Those,
who need it, can't write it.
And maintaining docs implies additional effort....

Perhaps adding/changing comments for `doxygen` (or any other similar
tool as long as it helps more than it stands in thr way) is a way to go
but that needs IMHO (at least initially) someone who adds the
infrastructure in the Makefiles (small and easy job) and adds/fixes the
comments of files, structs, functions and constants (larger and tedious
job) far enough so that other recognize the value and maintain comments
together with the code at some point in the future.

> been working on code cleanup the last months, but there is still a lot of old
> stuff in the code.

ACK. There is a lot which could be done better (but that holds for
pretty much any software I saw;-).

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services