[Olsr-dev] olsrd-0.5.3-rc1 feedback

Hannes Gredler (spam-protected)
Thu Oct 4 12:14:33 CEST 2007

Sven-Ola Tuecke wrote:
> * As discussed, I re-add the metric value on the routes.
>   From my perspective it's simply convenient, because I can
>   look on the routing output and estimate at a glance if a
>   particular route is long or short. It's not really important,
>   if that's only an estimation IMO. Reason to re-add metric with
>   131-olsrd-policy-metric.patch for the Freifunk olsrd.

hi sven-ola,

hmm sorry ... that is not the right place to get the metric back in.

what you need to do IMO is to extend the rt_nexthop datastructure
with a metric field and then extend olsr_nh_change() for
proper change detection.

what will happen in 131-olsrd-policy-metric.patch is that only the
first route addition will have the correct metric setting -
even worse - after a bit of route change in the network you will
not be able to proper delete old routes cause the metric
has been lost ...

since you seem to dislike the flat metric scheme and i still think
is useful, can we bargain such that we can hide the metric stuff
under #ifdef OLSR_FLAT_METRICS ... then you can enable that
for freifunk ...

/hannes