[Olsr-dev] Seeking comments: OLSR+ETX v/s DSR+ETX

elektra (spam-protected)
Wed Dec 19 15:58:53 CET 2007

Hi -

just a quick note to this:

Before we decided to choose ETX as metric for olsrd we were experimenting with
measuring round trip times. Axel Neumann tried to implement this while we
were still using mobilemesh, but the measurement results seemed to be quite
arbitrary. But I assume this was a problem of our implementation, because any
implementation of ping does a much better job than what we had achieved.

And btw. I don't see any irrational 'voodoo' in LQ/NLQ/ETX - at night I can do
downloads in our mesh via 18 hops with approx. 12 kByte/sec... Some people
claimed that a mesh only works up to three hops. So the 'voodoo' seems to
help a lot ;-)

Back then in 2004 I just took the idea of ETX as a base and modified it -
instead of sending bursts of extra packets we do statistics about Hello's,
and we are telling our neighbors with every Hello about the LQ values we are
measuring. I think that is/was very nifty because we don't have to send extra
packets like it was initially suggested in the ETX  paper.

So I still think it would be a valuable idea to measure RTT for different
packet sizes. And the payload of these packages should transport something
useful... For example the results of the last RTT-measurement could be
included.

On the other hand I wonder how useful the overhead is in practise.

cu elektra