[olsr-dev] Plugin for dynamic proactive service discovery

Rae Harbird (spam-protected)
Fri Jun 16 00:02:28 CEST 2006

Hi

I am developing a service discovery plugin for OLSR. I have integrated
some java service discovery code that I had already and OLSR by adapting
the existing nameservice plugin and communicating between the two using
xmlrpc. It was very successful.

Now I want to dynamically change the behaviour of the routing daemon so
that it behaves proactively (in an AODV-like way).  Again, I think that
this will be fairly straightforward but there are some things I'm not
sure about. I hope you will be able to point me in the right direction
with some of these points:

(a) Periodic route advertisements will not be needed in proactive mode.
I'm guessing that deregistering the relevant olsr function from the
plugin is easy enough. A hint on what to look at would be appreciated.

(b) In proactive mode, service requests will be broadcast from the
plugin in the usual way through the MPR set (which will equal the
neighbour set).  Each node will continue to maintain its neighbour set
so no change needed there.

(c) AODV maintains routes between sources and destinations by recording
the previous hop and the source from REQuest packets. I don't think OLSR
messages contain a 'last hop' field so I will need to add one to the
REQuest messages generated by the plugin. I understand how to register a
function to process a REQ message when one is received.

(d) I want to be able to send unicast UDP messages for replies, I' m not
sure what the best way of doing this is. Should it just be some
functionality I include in the plugin? Eventually I want to make the
routing proactive as well. Do you have any recommendations?

Many Thanks,

Rae