[olsr-dev] MRP selection (all OLSRd versions)

Sven-Ola Tuecke (spam-protected)
Thu Jan 12 15:01:19 CET 2006

Andreas,

(Mail with pdf attachment obviously halted. PDF is here:
http://styx.commando.de/sven-ola/mprcoverage.pdf )

If no control packets are forwarded between the two meshes (see attached
pdf) no routing will occur AFAIK. And you are right: We normally circumvent
this behaviour (wrong/unoptimal MPR selection) by setting a high
MPRCoverage. Additionally, those links are often ethernet based/managed, so
they have very low packet loss which will prefer them in the MPR selection
process.

MPR selection is a dynamic process, they change with the network topology
and weather conditions of course. In the scenario drawn in the pdf, no
routing / very slow routing will happen between those two clouds AFAIK. For
this reason at minimum one MPR on each iface may be required.

LG, Sven-Ola