[olsr-dev] olsr results in intermittent rate interrution?

spoggle (spam-protected)
Thu Sep 1 08:40:03 CEST 2005

You don't describe your test set up at all, but my team did a lot of testing
of MANET protocols under stress (we used TBRPF) turned up a couple of
conditions that gave us the same reactions.

1) If you congest the radio link you're going to start dropping routing
protocol packets, drop enough and the route goes away. This is especially a
problem if your ingress ports are very fast - we tested on 266MHz Geodes
(Soekris 4801) with 100Mb/s full duplex Ethernet feeding 802.11a/b/g radios.
On a good day we would get maybe 20Mb/s through the radio, so ignoring a lot
of stuff, right off the bat you can see that a lot of packets aren't going
to make it through the radio.

2) If you're using low powered hardware (i.e. Atheros 802.11a running on
anything less than 600-800MHz) we also encountered a problem where under the
load of a full-bore Ethernet that the kernel spent all it's time throwing
packets away and *not* giving time to the routing daemon running in user
space.

The above can be greatly aggravated by your test equipment - we used Ixia
which can do all manner of mean things like violate interframe spacing to
acheive utilization > %100. Doing this to an ether->802.11 link was very
hard on the routing protocol which was sending relatively few packets
compared to the test traffic. We got the best results by running the traffic
generator at some level less than the expected throughput of the 802.11.

This is a little unrealistic in that you can't really control the traffic,
except maybe by implementing the source quench message (I don't know if
Linux can do that).

Testing throughput is also complicated by the "tuning" of the protocol
parameters. So a network tuned for static stations would perform better
under heavy load than one tuned for high mobility. When I was looking for
good throughput numbers/characteristics I just set the protocol to be very
unrepsonsive. Networks tuned for high mobility are almost always going to
suffer from instability under load - that's just the way things work.

Ok, I just checked and you say you're using two ethernet interfaces, I think
the discussion still holds, but not as pronounced as when there's a great
disparity in speed between the interfaces.

dave c