[olsr-dev] LQ code enhancements

Bruno Randolf (spam-protected)
Tue Mar 1 11:03:38 CET 2005

hello!

i think there is nothing wrong with calculating the LQ from bigger/combined
packets - quite in contrary i think this is a good idea. in the end we are
interrested in the packet loss of *all* packets, especially user traffic
packets on the link, and not in the packet loss of artificially small HELLO
packets.

my assumption is, that user traffic packets will vary in size with a tendency
to larger, MTU sized, packets, just like the combined OLSR messages in bigger
networks. as sven-ola already said, the packet loss can be quite different
for small and large packets, so small HELLOs or even smaller probe packets
(like in the original ETX paper) might have no loss at all, while
"normal" (MTU sized) user traffic can have a loss of 100%. in this case i
would prefer the LQ beeing very low, and this is what we get when we
calculate the LQ from the bigger combined OLSR messages.

bruno