[olsr-dev] LQ code enhancements

Thomas Lopatic (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 28 16:24:21 CET 2005

[diversity in OLSR packet sizes]

> LQ is calculated from hello-messages only. They should be realtively
> small. Thomas suggested to increase the hello-paket-size to a fixed
> amount. This may be well worth a try, but is a dirty trick.

Errrm, well, yes, only using HELLO messages is the original design.
However, olsrd uses the packet sequence number of the complete OLSR
(UDP) packet (which may contain more than a single HELLO, TC, MID, or
HNA message). What this means is that we calculate the packet loss over
OLSR (UDP) packets and not OLSR messages, which we can in turn see as
calculating the packet loss over all OLSR messages and not only HELLOs.

So, we may see pretty large OLSR (UDP) packets, simply because our
neighbour squeezes a lot of OLSR messages into a single UDP packet to
save bandwidth.

-Thomas