[olsr-dev] Re: New config file format

Anand Kumria (spam-protected)
Sun Oct 10 16:12:11 CEST 2004

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:12:40 +0200, Andreas Tønnesen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have planned to rewrite the config file parser/format for olsrd for
> some time. A new format should include the possibility to set parameters
>   like emission intervals per network interface.

Great.

> I think I will go for a solution using XML.

Hmm, okay.

> This should give a lot of
> flexibility - as an example it should be a lot easier writing
> applications that parses and changes the config file since all elements
> should contain a textual description.

Wouldn't a better option be to provide a programmatic interface instead,
like a library?

> For parsing I think I will include code from the expat(expat.sf.net)
> project.
> However, I am not very much into XML and its design principals. I have
> included a preliminary config file and would appreciate feedback on
> things that could be done better.

Some comments:
	- is <ipversion> necessary?
I'm in the process of preparing some patches so that olsrd can run both
IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time; instead you may want to turn off a
particular version on a specific interface
	- <debuglevel>
I don't think the value of debug level should affect whether or not olsrd
runs in daemon mode
	- most of the values have reasonable defaults
I'm fixing up a Debian package and I've set the configuration file with a
set of defaults which just shouldn't need to be modified. In fact the only
ones I can see which might need to be frequently are the plugin list and
the HNA routes.
	- plugins
How do you intend to handle plugin configuration?

Regards,
Anand

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux