[olsr-dev] IPC-Protocol / GUI

Ignacio García Pérez (spam-protected)
Thu Nov 18 13:24:15 CET 2004

I guess "the data might not be delivered in that exact format" means just
about what I was going to suggest: that the IPC interface provides a full
snapshot of OLSRD internal tables, and then, the connected client chews it
and produces any suitable format.

  -----Original Message-----
  From: (spam-protected) [mailto:(spam-protected)]On
Behalf Of Marek Lindner
  Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 1:02 PM
  To: (spam-protected)
  Subject: Re: [olsr-dev] IPC-Protocol / GUI

  Andreas Tønnesen wrote:

The plan is to redesign the IPC interface in a not to distant future. I
agree on you design points:
- A general GUI would benefit from using a cross platfor toolkit.
- The new IPC interface should allow for setting of olsrd parameters in
runtime.

  So, you are going to rewrite the IPC ?
  Then I'd like to provide some of our (detailed) ideas regarding the IPC
interface:

    a.. Creating a IPC plugin which handles all the remote connections. Now,
we have the IPC inside of olsrd with an own port and configuration, we have
the dot_draw plugin with an own port and configuration, etc.
    b.. According to Thomas the current GUI is (more or less) guessing the
"state" of olsrd instead of knowing it. That should be corrected.

- The IPC interface will be a superset of the dot_draw plugin(the data
might not be delivered in that excact format) so that a GUI can visiulize
the topology.

  What do you mean with "the data might not be delivered in that exact
format" ?

We are looking for people interested in doing a GUI when the new IPC
interface is ready, so keep that in mind if you are into these things :-)
  Just to get an idea - is "a not to distant future" still in 2004 ?
  I gladly help   :-)

  Marek

---