[Olsr-users] trouble with NAT and smart gateway

Arjun (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 10 19:07:44 CET 2012

Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with routing data from an olsr network to a
non-olsr network. In particular, UDP streams do not seem to get routed over
multiple hops on the OLSR network. I would appreciate any help from the
experts on this forum. Here is my network setup:

OLSR network:

192.168.10.0/24

Non-OLSR network:

192.168.1.0/24

Node A ->
IF1: 192.168.10.5 (OLSR)

Node B ->
IF1: 192.168.10.6 (OLSR)

Node C ->
IF1: 192.168.10.7 (OLSR)
IF2: 192.168.1.2 (non OLSR, on managed network but will always get
192.168.1.2 from dhcp on external host)

Node D ->
IF1: 192.168.1.1 (non OLSR)

Node C has the smart_gw plugin  running and even sends out HNA messages
saying it can route to the 192.168.1.0 network. I checked the routing table
on A & B and they did indeed have one-hop routes inserted that would lead
to the gateway. I was able ping the outside network from within the OLSR
network over multiple hops. The outside host, node D, however is
constrained to talk only to IF2 on node C, so I have an iptables rule on
the gw to masquerade data coming in from the OLSR network to look like it
is coming from IF2 on node C. This works too, since I have full
connectivity to node D, when I run an application on node B, which is one
hop away from the gateway, IF1, on node C. However, when I move node B out
of range from the gw, i.e. node C, so that it is 2 hops away, which I
confirmed from debug output from the txtinfo plugin, it is not able
maintain connectivity (tcp and udp streams) with node D and my application
on node B breaks down. Are there any settings I am forgetting, or is it
that UDP data over OLSR is not a good idea. Thanks much and I appreciate
your help in advance.

-Arjun.