[Olsr-users] Basic problem? router_id from loopback

Andreas Martens1 (spam-protected)
Fri Feb 26 15:42:40 CET 2021

Hello all,

I've been trying to get this working for some time and I feat I'm just not
understanding something... This might be a n00b problem!

I have a group of nodes in a few different wireless networks. Because they
have an IP address for each NIC I wanted to give them a unique IP address
that could be routed across all the networks.
So I added an IP address to the lo device:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group
default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet 172.20.0.1/32 scope global lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
I then added [interface=lo] to the olsrd2.conf:
[global]
        fork 1
[olsrv2]
        originator default_accept
        nhdp_routable true
        tc_interval 8.0
        tc_validity 40.0
[nhdp]
  mpr *
[interface=lo]
[interface=emane14]
        hello_interval 2.0
        hello_validity 10.0
        l2default rx_bitrate 600k
        multicast_v4 224.0.0.109
        bindto 192.168.15.1
        bindto default_reject

[interface=emane13]
        hello_interval 2.0
        hello_validity 10.0
        l2default rx_bitrate 600k
        multicast_v4 224.0.0.109
        bindto 192.168.14.1
        bindto default_reject

[interface=emane11]
        hello_interval 2.0
        hello_validity 10.0
        l2default rx_bitrate 600k
        multicast_v4 224.0.0.109
        bindto 192.168.12.1
        bindto default_reject

but this seems to have stopped it working, as far as I can tell it's using
127.0.0.1 as its router_id now instead of the id of a NIC.

What does the config need to look like so it distributes routes to the
172.20.0.0/32 addresses configured on loopback?

cheers,
Andreas

Andreas Martens

Research Engineer