[Olsr-users] OLSR deployment question

Deepak Lal (spam-protected)
Mon Feb 13 22:08:00 CET 2017

Thank you for your response.

> LTE: I wonder if it is a good idea to have your "LTE Backbone" an attached network. Maybe use this as kind of Internet provider, where traffic to destinations that are not
> reachable with OLSR send the core router via the LTE link. Maybe you will add NAT later. You could check SmartGateway functionality.

This will be a private network with no access to internet. The objective is that all clients/hosts on LTE network should be able to reach clients on the mesh network and vice-versa. NAT
therefore will not work since NAT is used for "outgoing" connections only but here the networks need to communicate.

> No, this ethernet is your attached network.

OK Thanks.  My confusion though is that can I have an attached network that is on the same network as the OLSR interface?  If not, then does it mean that I will end up with three networks [😊]
1) LTE network (192.168.3.0/24)
2) Mesh OLSR network (192.168.2.0/24)
3) Clients that will connect to the radios that are meshing (192.168.4.0/24) e.g.?

> Good question. With NAT, clients in/around the vehicle can access a central server, as NAT hides addressing in the vehicle.

But as mentioned, I need to be able to reach clients in vehicle directly and not just initiate connections from the vehicle (NAT)

> Maybe use another routing protocol and redistribute.

In other words, could I also run OLSR on the LTE network? or would another protocol serve better?

Deepak