[Olsr-users] olsrd2 as root on debian?

Ferry Huberts (spam-protected)
Tue May 10 19:21:39 CEST 2016

On 10/05/16 19:16, Henning Rogge wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Nemesis <(spam-protected)> wrote:
>> Does the olsrd2 deamon need to run as root on debian, or can it run with
>> lower privileges?
>
> I have yet to find a way to set/remove routes and open sockets on
> interfaces without root access.

You can't unless you separate those tasks into a separate process.
IIRC each usage of netlink requires net_admin privileges (maybe even
hard-coded root).

You might try dropping privileges (except net_admin) but I think I tried
that before and it didn't work. Maybe they fixed that, who knows.

--
Ferry Huberts