[Olsr-users] olsrd2 and source specific routing

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 11 16:15:34 CET 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM, Robert Mader <(spam-protected)> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> I'd like to ask a question concerning source specific routing. We're
> trying to build up a mini mesh to try out how to use ssr but are a bit
> confused how to use it.
>
> First of all, I'm using the development branch of openwrt with olsrd2
> version 11

First a good advise... v0.11 had a few annoying bugs depending on the
kernel version, so I would advise to move to 0.11.1

> Our network looks like the following:
> http://picpaste.de/network.jpg
>
> Our goal is to have two gateways to the internet with different
> prefixes and a node that receives a sub-prefix from each one (a
> multi-homed network).

Yes, that is exactly what SSR should do.

> If I understood source specific routing right, each package going 'the
> internet' from the node should be routed over the respective gateway,
> depending on the source address used, right?
>
> I have ssr enabled on each system, but right now olsr gives the node
> just one default route which is always used, irrespective of the
> source ip used.
>
> My question now is:
>
> - - What does ssr do right now? And is there anything I need to configure?
At the moment olsrd2 is only supporting SSR for IPv6 (because of
limitations of the Linux Kernel).

When you set a "locally attached network" (with the LAN parameter of
the olsrv2 section) you need to specify the source prefix in addition
to the destination prefix.

maybe you could try something like this:

config olsrv2
    list 'lan' '::/0 src=<source-prefix>''

call "olsrd2_static --schema=olsrv2.lan" for a few more details.

> - - Am i supposed to set any routes by myself to create a multihomed
> network? Is olsr going to support it in an automatic manner?

No, you just need to specify the prefixes you want to export.

Henning Rogge