[Olsr-users] OLSRv2: default ethernet link speed

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Jul 27 07:54:54 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Martin Garbe
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> I try to configure a tap0 device with link_config plugin to set speed
> manually. I set some arbitrary values in OpenWRT config for testing:
> ------------
> config interface
>         option ifname 'tap0'
>
>         option rx_bitrate '20480000'
>         option tx_bitrate '1000000'
>         option rx_max_bitrate '20000000'
>         option tx_max_bitrate '1000000'
>         option rx_signal  '20480000'

That looks correct.

> -----------------
>
> But when listing olsrv2info route I always get 1020bit/s:
>
> 2001:67c:1400:2430:5054:ff:fea0:3100    fe80::1427:f0ff:fec3:e52c       -       ::/0    2
> 14      100     tap0    9       2001:67c:1400:2432:c04a:ff:fe40:adc2    0       ff_dat_metric
> 1020bit/s (1 hops)      2105088 1

You should first test this with the layer2info plugin... link_config
sets data in the layer2 database, which is then used to generate a
metric, which is transmitted over NHDP, which is then put into OLSRv2,
which is then put into the olsrv2 TC database... which is then
displayed by the olsrv2info plugin.

So try "layer2info default" as a command to see if the data you
configured is available in the layer2 database.

> I checked that the link_config plugin is loaded.
>
> Now I have two questions:
> - Does anybody now what I am doing wrong?
> - I want to set the speed for an vpn interface with speed of 50mbit/s
> down and 10mbit/s up. What would be your advice to set the values for
> the link_config plugin. It would be nice to have some example on the
> documentation [1] page. I search for examples in the internet but
> without success.

The OLSRv2 DAT metric does only care about "incoming bitrate", so you
just need to set the right speed on both ends. Each one will learn
about the resulting link cost by the NHDP messages from the other
side.

I also did quite a bit of work on the whole layer2info hand
configuration issue during the last week, but I still need to update
the documentation. Link_config is still there and it should work, we
have used it ourselves at the institute (until we switched to a new
plugin a few days ago).

Henning Rogge