[Olsr-users] Flooding custom data in OLSRv2 networks

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Jul 5 15:00:47 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Lars Kruse <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hello Henning,
>
> Currently (OLSRv1, nameservice plugin) we use the "service" parameter for
> distributing various parameters of our mesh network. This includes DNS servers
> and NTP servers. Additionally some nodes that offer custom services (e.g.
> gateways to the internet; domains to be provided via our public http proxy
> servers) announce these via the "service" transport.
> For now we did not notice performance issues with this approach (300 nodes, 115
> service entries).

You flood the same information over and over and over again. It only
works reasonable because the network is fast enough.

It is still a horrible idea to integrate this into the routing agent.

>> I would suggest looking into HNCP (HomeNet Configuration Protocol).
>> The current iteration is not well adapted for mobile networks, but the
>> rest of the protocol is sound.
>
> Do you refer to this? ("Naming and Service Discovery")
>  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7368#section-3.7

No.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7788
> Our data is usually stable in the range of days. I would estimate a timeframe
> of less than one hour to be desirable for most of our services (announcements &
> removal).
> Based on these requirements: which existing or to-be-implemented distribution
> approach would you recommend?

See above.

Just blindly flooding is a bad solution.