[Olsr-users] olsrd on Android

Dan O'Keeffe (spam-protected)
Tue May 26 14:18:43 CEST 2015

Hey,

>>> Main "gotcha" for android is the lack of Wifi Adhoc-Mode on most
>>> android phones. https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82

Out of interest, why do you think Google don't support it?

>> So by default it requires root access and/or some kind of kernel
>> configuration/hacking to get it to work?
>
> Definitely root.. most likely a changed kernel and wpa_supplicant.
>
> Maybe even a changed Wifi firmware... or it might not work at all.
>
>> The instructions in
>> /android/README don't contain any information about this. If further
>> modifications are required to the android device, can you by any chance
>> point me to some resources describing the modifications needed?
>
> Unfortunately no... this is one of the mysteries of Android.
>
>> For
>> example, would the instructions on the olsrd android page involving
>> wpa-supplicant still work? Or is it very much device dependent?
>
> Yes. Might be both device/kernel/android-version dependent. We don't know.

FYI, I found an interesting site
(http://www.thinktube.com/index.php/tech-en/android/wifi-ibss) with a
list of several Android devices they claim to have got ad-hoc wifi
working for (albeit using CyanogenMod): Having never used CyanogenMod
before, would the android olsrd app/packages just work as is on CyanogenMod?

Thanks,
Dan