[Olsr-users] [Babel-users] Mesh Network

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Wed Mar 25 08:37:08 CET 2015

Hi,

I am crossposting this to olsr-users because my answer should be
generic enough for both OLSR and Babel... and the mail I am responding
to contains much more information than the one we received on the
olsr-users list.

You need four basic things for routing between the clients attached to
the access points of your mesh.

A) routing between the mesh routers itself (I think you got this covered)
B) routing from the mesh routers to the IPs of the attached access
points (You got that covered by setting the network mask on the AP
interface)
C) routing of mesh routers for the prefix of an AP towards the mesh
router the AP is attached to.
D) routing of traffic for mesh routers and attached APs from a client
connected to an AP to the local mesh router.

C is done by telling the routing protocol that your local mesh node is
responsible for more prefixes. In olsrd you have to set the prefix as
a "HNA" (Host Network Association), in Babel you have to tell Babel to
export the routes of the AP interface I think (Someone here on the
list can tell you all the details).

D is most times done by setting up a DHCP on the mesh router for the
AP interface that distributes a default route back towards the router.

So check:
- can I ping between two different mesh routers?
- can I ping between the mesh router and a local AP client?
- can I ping an AP client from a different mesh router?
- can I ping between two AP clients attached to different mesh routers?

Henning Rogge