[Olsr-users] Received message to big to be forwarded

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Fri Apr 17 14:22:53 CEST 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Jernej Kos <(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are seeing a lot of the following messages in our logs:
>
> Received message to big to be forwarded on digger1226(1296 bytes)!
> Received message to big to be forwarded on digger1346(1328 bytes)!
>
> The message sizes indicate that the OLSR messages that are to be
> forwarded are probably larger than the MTU (the OLSR daemon has multiple
> interfaces with different MTU sizes). Does this warning indicate some
> problems with propagating routing information as messages are dropped
> instead of being forwarded?

The problem is that olsrd cannot fragment messages (which are flooded
through the whole mesh) hop-by-hop... which means a network with
different MTU-sizes AND large neighborhoods (which produce huge
messages) is a problem.

Henning Rogge