[Olsr-users] Problems with OLSRD and 802.11s

Henning Rogge (spam-protected)
Tue Nov 25 07:35:34 CET 2014

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM, akshay mithyantha
<(spam-protected)> wrote:
> Sir/Madam
> I have bought 2 TP Link 1043nd routers, which supports IEEE 802.11s
> specification. I have installed OLSRD on the routers. On creating a mesh
> network and running OLSR, the routers which are in the same mesh mode can't
> ping each other and on running OLSRD, it says "No Interface Detected". If I
> wanted to include a laptop in the mesh network, the laptop can't detect the
> mesh network created.
> Does laptop not detecting the network have anything to do with laptop not
> supporting 801.11s specification?
> I have reached a dead end and no idea why OLSR doesn't run on 802.11s
> specification.

If direct neighbors cannot ping each other something is wrong with
your lower layers... e.g. the layer2 (802.11s/frequency/encryption)
settings or your IP/netmask on the interfaces.

Maybe you can look at this for first help:
http://www.olsr.org/mediawiki/index.php/First_Mesh_Troubleshooting

OLSRd is only necessary for multihop IP connections.

I would suggest NOT to run OLSRd on top of 802.11s, unless you switch
of the forwarding of frames on all nodes. Running a layer3 mesh on top
of a layer2 mesh is a bad idea.

Henning Rogge