[Olsr-users] Multiple gateway nodes w/ SmartGateway, config recommendations

Ben West (spam-protected)
Fri Mar 28 16:54:50 CET 2014

Teasing this out from a prior thread, I see these new config params for
SmartGateway just added to olsrd v0.6.6 (along with features apparently
relevant to multiple gateways):

      gateway: add SmartGatewayUseCount configuration parameter
      gateway: use SmartGatewayUseCount setting the the gateway lists
      gateway: add SmartGatewayEgressInterfaces configuration parameter
      gateway: add SmartGatewayMarkOffset{Egress,Tunnels} configuration
         parameters
      gateway: add SmartGatewayPolicyRoutingScript configuration parameter
      gateway: initialise a set of fixed tunnel names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: initialise the egress interface names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: use fixed tunnel names in/for multi-gateway mode
      gateway: setup and clear table specific default routes in/for
         multi-gateway mode
      gateway: setup/cleanup multi-gateway mode during startup/shutdown of olsrd
      gateway: introduce and use MULTI_GW_MODE define
      gateway: enable multi-gateway mode
      kernel_route: olsr_os_inetgw_tunnel_route now needs the table explicitly
      Merge branch 'multigw'
      gateway: also adjust the IPv6 gateway list in olsr_update_gateway_entry
      gateway: the gateway policy script really is a bash script
      gateway: cleanup the server tunnel later
      cfgparser: add SmartGatewayAlwaysRemoveServerTunnel configuration
         parameter
      gateway: use SmartGatewayAlwaysRemoveServerTunnel configuration parameter
      gateway: use tnl_(4|6) tunnel names instead of tnl(4|6)_
      gateway: properly set the egress interface names

I do understand that deploying SmartGateway in a mesh with multiple gateway
nodes, where each gateway performs NAT to a unique public IP, will cause
open TCP sessions to break for any repeater nodes that switch their
gateway.  Likewise, I am assuming this breakage still occurs even when all
gateway nodes share the same public IP, but the gateway nodes themselves
sit on a NAT'ed LAN in front of their shared public IP.  These caveats for
mutli-gateway are acknowledged.

I writing to inquire if list members have success deploying SmartGateway
v0.6.6 in multi-gateway mode, and likewise if anyone has found preferred
param settings for the new entries listed above.

I am assuming a minimum of olsrd.conf settings like the following, deployed
to all nodes.  For now, I'm only interested in having repeater nodes use
one gateway at a time, and in a mesh only doing IPv4 for now.

SmartGateway yes
SmartGtaewayUseCount 1
SmartGatewayAllowNAT yes
SmartGatewayUplink both
SmartGatewayUplinkNAT yes

LoadPlugin "olsrd_dyn_gw.so.0.5"
{
    PlParam "HNA" "0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0"
}

Neglecting any obscure, network-specific settings like policy routing
scripts, are there any other recommendations for appropriate SmartGateway
configuration on an IPv4 mesh with multiple gateways?

Thank you.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net